Initial Disclosure Document

LVC Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, our registration number is 676911.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulates financial services throughout the UK.

The FCA require us to provide you with an “Initial Disclosure Document”. One purpose of this document is to provide you with essential information about our company, including what we charge for our services, the products and services we offer and how we are regulated. It also provides you with information on what you should do if you have a complaint and any details regarding the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

About LVC

LVC Ltd also trades as Leasing & Vehicle Contracts and is authorised and regulated by the FCA. We provide brokers services to customers and work with our finance partner(s) in order to find a suitable vehicle lease agreement. You can find more about what we do on our ‘About Us’ page.

The products we use

As an FCA regulated credit broker we are able to introduce you to the UK’s most prominent vehicle leasing provider in order to help you secure the best and most appropriate product, including vehicle maintenance and servicing packages. We will explain the key features of these products to you.

Our services

We will provide you with general information relating to finance products. In order to do this we may seek personal information about your circumstances and objectives which may be relevant, in order to identify your requirements. It is important that you provide us with accurate and relevant information.

What will you have to pay us for our services?

We do not charge fees for our broker related services. We may receive payment from finance providers or lenders if you decide to enter into any agreement we have introduced you to.

What to do if you have a complaint

We are committed to treating our customers fairly throughout the entire duration of the finance term.

If you wish to register a complaint, please contact us:

  • LVC Ltd, 4 Mint house, 30 Friern Park, London N12 9DA, telephone 020 8446 4334.

If your complaint cannot be settled with us, you may be entitled to refer it to either:

  • British Vehicle and Rental Association (BVRLA) Conciliation Service. You should write to them at: BVRLA, River Lodge, Badminton Court, Amersham, HP7 0DD


  • Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange, London, E14 9SR.

Version 06/2019. Next review 06/2020.